Use the Encyro Outlook Addin with a Microsoft Group email or Shared inbox
Can I use the Encyro Addin with group or shared mailboxes?
If you use the Microsoft 365 or Exchange email service, then shared mailboxes or Microsoft Groups (such as sales@, info@ etc.) can be accessed from Outlook. Groups may show under a heading “Groups” within the individual user inbox in Outlook.
If you have an Encyro account with a group or shared email address, then the addin can be used with that email address also (in addition to your individual user based email accounts).
Secure messages or uploads received by the group or shared mailbox will be auto-decrypted. You can also send secure messages from such accounts.
The following details are important to be aware of:
The individual user account must also be added to Outlook (this is anyway required to add the group or shared mailbox to Outlook, even when not using the Encyro Outlook Addin).
If you will be sending from the group or shared account (not just receiving), then the individual user account must have send-as permissions for the group or shared mailbox. To set the Send-As permissions:
- For Microsoft Groups, rather than accessing group settings in the Microsoft 365 Admin center, go to the Exchange Admin Center and access Groups from the menu on the left. Click the group name and then on the details pane on the right, under Settings look for “Manage Delegates” and click the link Edit Manage Delegates. Make sure the individual user account used in Outlook is added as a delegate and assigned “Send As” permissions.
- For Shared mailboxes, go to the Exchange Admin Center and access Mailboxes from the menu on the left. Click the mailbox name in the list and then on the details pane on the right, click the Delegation tab. Under the heading Send As click the Edit button and in the new popover, make sure that the individual user account has been added. You may click *Add Member to add it if not not already added.
When sending an email from the group or shared mailbox, make sure to check that the FROM address on the email is set as intended. This can be checked just above the To line on the new email.
- Sometimes Outlook sets the From to the individual user’s address but you can change it by clicking the From dropdown and selecting the desired address.
- If the desired address is not shown in the From dropdown, click on Other email address and type the group or shared mailbox address that you wish to use. You will only have to do this once and from then on the address will show in the options.
The individual user account that is a member of the shared mailbox or group must be set as the default account in Outlook. Otherwise, some other account may be used by Outlook to send from the group and that will cause an error because of permissions.
- To check the default account, click on the File menu (top left in Outlook) and then click Account Settings and from the dropdown, again click Account Settings. In the popup that opens, you should see a checkmark to the left of the default account.
- To change the default account, click the desired account to select it and then click Set as Default in the options near the top.
When you select a group inbox in Outlook, the ribbon will not show any addins. First start a new email and then the Secure Send button should be available to send a secure message from the group.
If incoming secure message notifications for a group inbox come to its Junk mail folder, then the junk folder is typically not available to check within Outlook. How to check Junk mail for a Microsoft group? To check if any incoming secure message notifications arrived in the Junk folder:
- Access Outlook on the Web and login using your individual user account.
- In the left pane, right-click on the heading Folders.
- In the dropdown, click Add shared folder or mailbox.
- In the popup that opens, type the group email address and click Add.
- Now, in the left menu, the group will be added as another heading, just like the heading Folders. Click the group name to expand it.
- Here, besides the group Inbox, you will also see the Junk Email folder. Click on Junk Email to check the emails in that folder.
- If any Encyro notification email is found in Junk, right click the email and select Block and then Never Block Sender. In the popup that opens, click OK.
- Then, again right click the same email and select Move, then from the next dropdown select the group name and then Inbox. (Note: If you skip selecting the group name and select Inbox shown after Move, the email seems to move back to Junk automatically - so its important to move it the Inbox for the specific group.)
How to install the Outlook Addin
Where can I download the Encyro Outlook plugin? How to install Encyro for Outlook? Which version of Outlook can I use? To install Encyro in Microsoft Outlo...
How to send from Outlook
How do I login to Encyro from Outlook? How do I send my first secure message? Are sent emails stored within Outlook? Detailed Instructions Make sure you ha...
Are secure messages saved within Outlook?
Will secure content end up saved in Outlook? Is a copy of the Secure Message stored in my sent emails folder? No. The secure message is not stored within O...
Can I send to multiple recipients?
How many recipients on my secure message are allowed? Multiple recipients are allowed, both when sending new secure messages or when replying/forwarding a ...
Send Large Files from Outlook
Can I send larger files than my email server permits? What if the file is larger than the recipient's email server limit? Your email server limit: Outlook ...
Access Messages Outside Outlook
Can I access my secure messages when away from my PC with Outlook and the Encyro Outlook addin installed? Yes. Simply login to your Encyro account online f...
Can I use multiple email accounts in Outlook?
Yes. Only the accounts that you use to send or receive secure Encyro messages will get associated with corresponding Encyro accounts. You need not create a...
How to uninstall the Encyro Outlook Addin
Open the Windows Add or Remove Programs settings: In the Windows desktop search box (typically, near the Start button, in the lower left of the screen), ty...
Do I need Encyro Pro to use the Encyro Outlook Addin?
Is a paid Encyro account required to use the Outlook plugin? Can I use the Encyro Outlook Addin with a free Encyro account? The Encyro Outlook Addin works ...
How many secure messages can I send every day?
I get an error message like Too many secure messages sent in a short time. Please wait some time before sending. To prevent spam, our system may limit the ...